How to work with Editgrids?

sridhar

Hi David:

I am going offline for about 3 weeks in the next month or so. I am downloading all the Edigrids to offline Excel docs.

What is the best way to work through this, assuming I've studied the underlying core material. I mean, when I open the XLS at 1 AM (!) -- are these XLS'es self-explanatory enough, so that I know "what is the problem or concept" I am working through?

In other words, again assuming I've studied the related AIMS, are these XLSes self-contained learning devices?

--sridhar

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi sridhar,

I don't pretend that they are that standalone. Last year, I only published 3-4 so I have a limited f/back history with the EditGrids, to be candid. They are a major "feature add" only this year. My intention was for them to complement; e.g., like Hull's CDS valuation. The first time i read that, I thought it was hard, but i think the XLS makes "consumption" of the content easier. Is it standalone? probably not...

one thing i am doing, slowly, is if somebody comments/queries on an aspect of the EditGrid, I typically go annotate it thusly. So, part of the reason I publish them as EditGrids is that they can organically improve over time....I don't want to submit them formally to your 1 AM test, if you know what i mean.

But mostly, I don't have deep feedback on them, I only know that a certain percentage of customers seem to like them so far this year. But those may be (this is just my guess) those with experience, etc....hope that helps, David

sridhar

Hi David

I understand...You provide a great product. I am still struggling through the core readings (the Tuckman readings are giving me fits...the Hull ones on Mkt Risk are more fun) and I hope to provide you feedback on the Spreadsheets as I sink my teeth into them. If you change a published EditGrid, do you plan to make it bubble up to the top -- so that we know that there is an updated version?

--sridhar

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
sridhar,

Thank you, appreciate that!

"do you plan to make it bubble up to the top?"
We don't currently, but of course that is a great suggestion.

I am going to reorg the site again so i will add that feature. (b/c the salient criticism i've gotten this year re: the member page is: it is a bit overwhelming, where do I start?. Part of that is b/c several specifically asked that I leave up the 2007. Keeping the 2007 material up creates a lot of extra density. But I didn't realize that would create some incremental claustrophobia, so I've gotten some great suggestions on making the member page easier to access, find stuff...this includes the editgrids. Technically, many of the editgrids are overkill for what you need for the exam. But i figured more is better than less, but that creates an bit of a usability stress. But thankfully I think we've managed to continuously improve the resources). thanks, David

sathyat

Hi David,
I have a request regarding edit grid. The edit grid website is blocked from my office. Hence I am not able to access it. May I request you to kindly provide a downloadable excel also ?

Please do not reduce on the number of spread sheets. :). I feel they are great learning tools.

Regards,
Sathya

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi Sathya,

great, glad you like them!

lately, i've been attaching an Excel XLS right before the EditGrid. See the link right above the EditGrid.

I'll check them all this week, but currently i think *most* already have an XLS...

David