GARP Ebook

eszaknyugat

Subscriber
Hi All,

Is there any experience about GARP E-books? The only infomation on website is that the files are not printable.
Are these files MOBIs or other? Can the files be converted to pdf?

Thanks a lot!

eszaknyugat

SSK

Subscriber
Hi @eszaknyugat,

To my knowledge-

GARP's FRM e-books are available for viewing online only and cannot be downloaded on to your local disk as PDF files. Neither you could print the files online too !

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
SSK.

Bester

Subscriber
The e-book is available for 3 years only to you. You can access the eBook on up to 3 different devices ie, ipad, a desktop and or an Android tablet. However need a Vitalsource Bookself account which allow to read on line or in the case of off line you can access reading via the bookshelf app. You can not print.

brian.field

Subscriber
I can't understand why anyone would ever pay for an ebook that you cannot own nor print.....just my opinion.

Bernard57950

Hello,

Does anybody know if it's possible to copy paste information from the ebooks to Word for example?

Thank you for your help

Regards

Karim_B

Subscriber
Hello,

Does anybody know if it's possible to copy paste information from the ebooks to Word for example?

Thank you for your help

Regards
Hi @Bernard57950
Now that GARP are with VitalSource Bookshelf you can (when I had originally signed up for the Nov 2017 part II exam before I deferred, they were with a different Pearson ebook solution which was terrible and didn't let you copy), but the quality varies from book to book.

In the market risk book these blocks appear in the middle of the text. (I reached out to them about it some time ago, but have given up on trying to get it fixed.)

Sample:
Estimate■VaR■using■a■historical■simulation■approach. ■■ Estimate■VaR■using■a■parametric■approach■for■both■
normal■and■lognormal■return■distributions. ■■ Estimate■the■expected■shortfall■given■P/L■or■return■
data. ■■ Define■coherent■risk■measures.
(Professionals 3)
Professionals, Global Association of R. 2018 Financial Risk Manager (FRM), Exam Part II: Market Risk Measurement and Management, 7th Edition. Pearson Learning Solutions, 11/2017. VitalBook file.
The citation provided is a guideline. Please check each citation for accuracy before use.

In others like Credit Risk it works better (I noticed a box in front of "-50% correlation" in red below where we should have had a minus sign. Edit: The BT forum has removed the box so you can only see my red "50%" without the box in front of it)

Sample:
Figure 16-1 shows the impact of wrong-way (and right- way) risk on the EE. We can see that with 50% correlation, WWR approximately doubles the EE, whilst with 50% correlation, the impact of right-way risk reduces it by at least half. This is the type of behaviour expected: positive
(Professionals 365)
Professionals, Global Association of R. 2018 Financial Risk Manager (FRM), Exam Part II: Credit Risk Measurement and Management, 7th Edition. Pearson Learning Solutions, 12/2017. VitalBook file.
The citation provided is a guideline. Please check each citation for accuracy before use.

So the quality varies from book to book, but it is possible.
Best
Karim

Last edited:

Bernard57950

Hello Karim,

Thank you very much for your answer. It's a shame that it doesn't work better. It is a fast way to summarize the key points instead of writting them down and losing some precious time!

Have a nice day and good luck for the FRM part 2!

Best regards,

Bernard

Karim_B

Subscriber
Thanks @Bernard57950 :)
I've just passed Part II and am waiting to hear back about my work experience.

Good luck for your exam!
Karim

P.S. Realized I goofed on the dates above since the terrible Pearson eBooks were when I originally signed up for the Nov 2017 part II exam before I deferred to May this year. I've corrected my original post.

smintx

Dear BT community,
2021 study material is out and I am preparing to buy either hardcopy or ebooks for Part 1.
Any changes since 2018 (last reply on this topic) regarding GARP ebooks? Are they still not printable?
I'd prefer to study on paper version but the digital one is far more efficient to prepare summaries.
Thank you very much for you answer :)

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
Dear BT community,
2021 study material is out and I am preparing to buy either hardcopy or ebooks for Part 1.
Any changes since 2018 (last reply on this topic) regarding GARP ebooks? Are they still not printable?
I'd prefer to study on paper version but the digital one is far more efficient to prepare summaries.
Thank you very much for you answer :)
Hello @smintx

The GARP ebooks do allow printing (we have the 2020 version), but they only allow you to print 2 pages at a time. So, you wouldn't be able to print out the whole book at once. If you prefer to study from a paper version, I would recommend purchasing the hard copy books, as it would be a very tedious and time-consuming task to print out the books when you can only print 2 pages at a time. I hope this helps!

smintx

Hi again,

By trying the registration for Part 1 on the GARP webiste, I saw that ebooks are free (cf. printscreen below).

Does anyone know if ebooks are effectively included in the registration price? This means that hardcopy are >400$ (300+shipping) and digital are free.

Thank you very much for your help and time !

GARP books.png

smintx

Hello @smintx

The GARP ebooks do allow printing (we have the 2020 version), but they only allow you to print 2 pages at a time. So, you wouldn't be able to print out the whole book at once. If you prefer to study from a paper version, I would recommend purchasing the hard copy books, as it would be a very tedious and time-consuming task to print out the books when you can only print 2 pages at a time. I hope this helps!

Hello @Nicole Seaman

Thank you very much for your answer ! :)

As it seems that ebooks are provided "for free" now (see my message above), I think I'll take the ebooks.

Have a nice day!

esteesse

Hello BT,
May I know if anybody managed to access the e-book for 2021 May?
I signed up last week and if I click on 'access e-books' on my GARP dashboard it leads me to 'study materials' list, I see red label with "PROVIDED WITH REGISTRATION" but cannot find 'how to access'.
It says "FRM Exam Part I eBooks is provided through the Bookshelf application by Vital Source. " but I haven't received any access code via email not GARP dashboard.

Could anyone help on this?

smintx

Hello BT,
May I know if anybody managed to access the e-book for 2021 May?
I signed up last week and if I click on 'access e-books' on my GARP dashboard it leads me to 'study materials' list, I see red label with "PROVIDED WITH REGISTRATION" but cannot find 'how to access'.
It says "FRM Exam Part I eBooks is provided through the Bookshelf application by Vital Source. " but I haven't received any access code via email not GARP dashboard.

Could anyone help on this?

Hi esteesee,

Go on your account, then My Programs, then FRM, then Study Material, them scroll to 2021 FRM Exam Part I ebooks and at the bottom you should have the 4 access links (1 per ebook).

Hope this helps.

esteesse

Hi esteesee,

Go on your account, then My Programs, then FRM, then Study Material, them scroll to 2021 FRM Exam Part I ebooks and at the bottom you should have the 4 access links (1 per ebook).

Hope this helps.

Hello Smintx, thank you so much for reply.
It is odd that I don't see any access code below the item:

garp.JPG

This image is all I see, and I can't find access code you mentioned.
May I know if it took several days for you to appear?

smintx

Hello Smintx, thank you so much for reply.
It is odd that I don't see any access code below the item:
View attachment 3055

This image is all I see, and I can't find access code you mentioned.
May I know if it took several days for you to appear?

Below is what I have on my account. The access links where available right after the registration (and payment of exam fees).

At this stage, my recommendation would be to contact GARP for them to "unlock" the access links on your account. Hope this will help.

1610369785600.png

Brett

I also have same problem that I can't find access code in my dashboard after 2021 May exam registration.

I contacted GARP via email, but they did not respond for my request over 3 days. Does anyone know whether this unlock process takes any manual intervention from GARP required? A bit puzzled....

esteesse

I also have same problem that I can't find access code in my dashboard after 2021 May exam registration.

I contacted GARP via email, but they did not respond for my request over 3 days. Does anyone know whether this unlock process takes any manual intervention from GARP required? A bit puzzled....
Hey Brett,

I contacted the phone line in GARP contacts, asked about it and they generated an IT Support ticket. It took me about 2 days to get my access code. I think it is common issue, I recommend you to try call their support number!