asad.nassur

I just started preparing for the Part 2 exam. I wanted to know if there is any recommended study order to the books? Should I follow the order in which GARP has given the LOs?

ag0511

An overview of the 2020 syllabus suggest that there are both sequential and independent topics in each section/subject.

Given that there have been significant updations from 2019 to 2020 in part 2 syllabus.Individuals can wait for study material to be updated by prep provider's for sections such as ORR,LTRM and CI.

Out of the remaining ones,there can be multiple starting points.Start of preparation from Market risk or RMIM,would be suitable.First 4/5 Chapters of market risk,related to VAR are one of the core concepts of P2 studies and appear elsewhere in other sections too.So this will be a good starting point.Candidates who prefer some application based theory or light practical stuff in initial phase can begin from Hedge funds and Portfolio performance evaluation respectively.These are stand alone topics and have been touched upon in P1 studies or most master courses in finance across different universities.

People,who would like to start from Credit risk and prefer some intriguing,testable practical and theory stuff,can start from Ratings assignment methodology going all the way upto Structured risk.If there progress gets halted,due to inherent nature of these chapters,they can mix this up with chapters related to Central counterparties,first and last 2- 3 chapters,which are mostly stand alone practical oriented light and interesting theory stuff.

More and possibly better and detailed study plans are available with study providers on their websites.GARP too,provides with weekly coverage plans,which takes care of flow and structure,after registration.

Peterfcm

I just started preparing for the Part 2 exam. I wanted to know if there is any recommended study order to the books? Should I follow the order in which GARP has given the LOs?

You can pass just by studying all the BT mini mocks and past papers (I also purchased the two schweser online past papers).I wrote and studied Anki flashcards (about 800) to remember the questions. I only just about passed doing this and so I wouldn't recommend this approach if you have the time!!!!

If I had to take it again, I'd read the garp material quickly and then work through the 1000s of BT questions. . Hope that helps.