FRM Level 2 for 2013

ECHOY

Subscriber
Hi David,

I have just passed Level 1 and I am thinking of enrolling level 2 for May 2013 exam. I used scheweser for Level 1 and found the material inadequate. I would like to get a headstart on Level 2 starting in fall and also, there are certain areas in level 1 that I would like to dive in further because scheweser notes are not in depth, therefore, I didn't actually have a good foundation of level 1 and I know that level 2 would probably be building on stuff from Level 1. What would be your recommendation in my case?

Thanks,
E

Suzanne Evans

Hi David,

I have just passed Level 1 and I am thinking of enrolling level 2 for May 2013 exam. I used scheweser for Level 1 and found the material inadequate. I would like to get a headstart on Level 2 starting in fall and also, there are certain areas in level 1 that I would like to dive in further because scheweser notes are not in depth, therefore, I didn't actually have a good foundation of level 1 and I know that level 2 would probably be building on stuff from Level 1. What would be your recommendation in my case?

Thanks,
E

Hi E,

Thank you for your interest in bionicturtle.com!

In reference to BT materials, if you are looking to purchase our product at the very least I would recommend Tier 2. The difference between Tier 2 and Tier 3 are the learning spreadsheets. If you would want the learning spreadsheets, you might want to purchase Tier 3. We were the first to complement instruction with our huge library of custom-built "learning spreadsheets." Both Excel and online formats. Advanced learners tend to use these.

You might find Aleksander 's input helpful here: http://forum.bionicturtle.com/posts/18263/ (Please keep in mind this was for Level 1).

I noticed you said that you were wanting to dive into Level I further as well. Our best product offering would probably be:

Part 1 & 2, Tier 2
Part 1 & 2, Tier 3

You can view our products here: https://www.bionicturtle.com/products/financial-risk-management/

I wouldn't recommend for you to utilize Tier 1 as you don't get the video tutorials with Tier 1. If you purchase Tier 2 and later decide that you would like to upgrade to Tier 3, that is okay as well.

We have received in the past others whom have described unfortunate experiences with purchasing other providers products. Granted, some are able to use another providers product and still pass. It's all on what the registrant is looking for and needing assistance with. Here is a recent comment from one individual:

Just wanted to thank you for your immense help in passing the FRM today! I have had a previous unfortunate experience using another provider and failed Nov 2012... The training you gave through Bionic Turtle made it seem so easy during the May 2012 exam. Again thanks a million to you and Suzanne for your hard work.

Please don't take our word for it, feel free to see what others are saying here in the forum as well as here: http://www.bionicturtle.com/about/testimonials

Good luck and please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Thanks,
Suzanne

ECHOY

Subscriber
Thanks Suzanne. In my case, if I want to take the Part 2 exam in May 2013 instead of Nov 2012, if I purchase the material now for 2012 and there are changes to the readings for level 2 in 2013, then does it mean that I have to purchase 2013 again for Part 2?

Suzanne Evans

Thanks Suzanne. In my case, if I want to take the Part 2 exam in May 2013 instead of Nov 2012, if I purchase the material now for 2012 and there are changes to the readings for level 2 in 2013, then does it mean that I have to purchase 2013 again for Part 2?

Hi Echoy,

If you plan to take the Part 2 exam in May 2013, you could purchase now. Your access is valid for 365 days from the date of purchase. You will have access to any new contents published prior to your expiration date. If you purchased today, July 6th 2012 you would have access through approximately July 6th 2013. The contents currently published are structured around the May & November 2012 exam. GARP doesn't publish the new curriculum until December/January. The new contents (we create new every year) will be available prior to the May 2013 exam. However, you could purchase now to begin reviewing the contents and getting a grasp on the concepts.

Thanks,
Suzanne

Robert

Subscriber
Hi Echoy,

I also passed in May 2012 using Scwheser as my primary source for reading material but was very dissatisfied with their material (I used FRM Handbook and Schweser for practice questions -- with less emphasis on Bionic Turtle practice questions -- but found the BT questions in retrospect to be much more reflective of actual exam difficulty). I, too, am considering taking Part II in May 2013 so I can examine the part II material in-depth.

I plan to start studying in September, using the raw reading material from GARP as well as the Bionic Turtle practice questions (I will probably look at the FRM Handbook questions too). I'm looking to get more out of the exam than merely passing the test.

How do you plan to approach part II in terms of study materials? When do you plan to start studying?

Thanks,
Robert

Aleksander Hansen

FRM Handbook questions are too easy. Not realistic in my opinion. Maybe good for going through all topics in one day a few days ahead of the exam as a refresher or to spot weaknesses, but a lot of times you can answer the questions without doing any reading at all. The handbook test bank is even worse...

Robert

Subscriber
The Handbook questions are generally too easy but, as you mentioned, they are good for a refresher of the material. That's why I will will primarily focus on BT practice questions for part II. I did well on part I but I feel like I cheated myself by using third-party summary notes. In retrospect, I don't believe summary material goes into sufficient depth, which is why I'm going to put extra emphasis on studying the actual GARP-assigned readings for part II.

sandeep2013

Hi David,

I found 6 links under "Basel Readings" as part of freely available readings on GARP website. Are these readings linked to specific AIM statements for May 2013 part 2 exams? If not, how much importance should be given to them from the perspective of clearing the exam?

Thanks,
Sandeep

vt2012

1. Are these readings linked to specific AIM statements for May 2013 part 2 exams?
Directly, proby, not.
2. Actually, yes.
3. Go to "...post what you remember ... Part 2 Nov 2012..." and you will find out that a lot of questions was related to Basel 3! Personally, for me it was quite enexpected...

NewComer

Hi David,

I found 6 links under "Basel Readings" as part of freely available readings on GARP website. Are these readings linked to specific AIM statements for May 2013 part 2 exams? If not, how much importance should be given to them from the perspective of clearing the exam?

Thanks,
Sandeep
Come on: BIS (BCBS --> Basel accord 1, 2~3) ( Basel Readings in your words) has nothing to do with GARP website. Looks like the trivial question: Who is standing on whom?
Just go to BIS site.

NewComer

FRM Handbook questions are too easy. Not realistic in my opinion. Maybe good for going through all topics in one day a few days ahead of the exam as a refresher or to spot weaknesses, but a lot of times you can answer the questions without doing any reading at all. The handbook test bank is even worse...
Hi Aleks,
Generally agree.
On the other hand, have you ever made an attempt to write course of lectures + examples + workshops notes + exam sets + ... god knows what else
and all this stuff to be ~ like ]FRM Handbook ?

I would assure you it's nor far easy...

Aleksander Hansen

Hi Aleks,
Generally agree.
On the other hand, have you ever made an attempt to write course of lectures + examples + workshops notes + exam sets + ... god knows what else
and all this stuff to be ~ like ]FRM Handbook ?

I would assure you it's nor far easy...

Lecture notes, examples, case studies, problem sets and exam sets, yes. It's very time-consuming. Not encompassing by far all that the FRM Handbook is trying to cover though; and therein lies the problem IMHO. It would make sense to me to split the Handbook up into Part 1 & Part 2. Why bite off more than you can chew?
  1. Jorion should know this would make him more money
  2. You can go into more depth on each topic