Exam Feedback August 2023 Part 1 Exam Feedback

Did you use Bionic Turtle's materials to study for the exam?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
We hope that everyone did well on the FRM Part 1 exam! We would love to hear any feedback that you have about the exam. How did the exam go? Did you encounter unexpected questions? Thank you in advance for any feedback you can provide!
Don't forget to fill out the poll at the top of this post :)

HPASI2304

I personally felt it was a mix of good and (really) bad questions.

I was able to actually finish the exam 30 mins before, giving me time to check my flagged questions.

I found qualitative questions difficult. I mean almost every question had at least 2 options which seemed to be identical. Around 30-40% of the paper was easy.

Let's see how it goes.

VDixi7240

I completely agree with HPAS12304
I personally felt it was a mix of good and (really) bad questions.

I was able to actually finish the exam 30 mins before, giving me time to check my flagged questions.

I found qualitative questions difficult. I mean almost every question had at least 2 options which seemed to be identical. Around 30-40% of the paper was easy.

Let's see how it goes.
I COMPLETELY AGREE!!! All of it. That's what first came to mind after completing paper. I don't get it, almost all 4 MCQ questions are split into 2X2, where any student can make an immediate educated guess (or after taking a lot of time in solving) which 2 are definitely wrong.
But working out which of the other two options is correct felt like 2 high speed rotating plates colliding in mind.

Eg. one simple looking question said "Internal model" gave 14% estimate of expected return on a stock. And using data of inputs to CAPM (Rf, Rm, Beta) I calculated - expected return as 16%". Question asks to calculate CAPM return and tell whether stock is "overvalued" or "undervalued" as per CAPM.
2 options - were incorrect as CAPM return was wrong.
Other 2 options - CAPM return is 16% - split between "it is overvalued or Undervalued" as per CAPM.

If you think about it, you will definitely feel it. If CAPM return is my bible, it is undervalued. If Internal model is my bible and CAPM is just imputed return like formula, it is overvalued!!!

Now don't tell me ans!!

VDixi7240

We hope that everyone did well on the FRM Part 1 exam! We would love to hear any feedback that you have about the exam. How did the exam go? Did you encounter unexpected questions? Thank you in advance for any feedback you can provide!
Don't forget to fill out the poll at the top of this post :)
Yes it went okay. Qualitative were tough. There was 2 easily incorrect but 2 seemingly correct options conflict. The Quant questions were too easy looking, that worried me. Like the p value is 0.0000 for one of 4 regressions, that was the answer also as per one test, but why give even the p-value... why make it to easily spot the answer, anyone can pick odd one out . They tested heavily on GFC-OTD model etc, did not feel like they tested a majority of other concepts of other books.
Edit: I cleared (75%-100% in all four)!

Last edited:

HPASI2304

Passed 2111. Congrats to all the others who passed.

Thank you BT team for the excellent preparation and special thanks to @David Harper CFA FRM, it was so helpful to have someone who knows and kindly explain all kind of questions, really appreciated it.

CanvasEcho

Subscriber
I went to the exam expecting to fail since I only got through 60% of the material but I passed with 3313.
How realistic is attempting part 2 without solid knowledge of part 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.