2021 Exam Update from GARP (for 2020 postponed exam updates only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
This thread is only for discussion regarding 2020 exam candidates who were registered to take the exam and it was postponed to January 2021. I will continue to watch the GARP announcements closely for any changes to the January 2021 exams and will post any important information here.

I encourage everyone who is waiting to hear about exam postponements to click "Watch" in the upper right corner of this thread so you will receive email notifications every time I post a new announcement.

Just a couple of notes if your exam was postponed to 2021:
  • If your 2020 exam was postponed to January 2021 (not deferred voluntarily to May 2021), you will be tested on the 2020 curriculum.
  • We are waiting for definite confirmation, but we received information on 12/18 that 2020 candidates who are taking the exam in May 2021 will be tested on the 2021 curriculum. There are VERY FEW changes made to the curriculum, and GARP has told us that that was done intentionally in case there were 2020 candidates that have to be postponed to May 2021.
  • The location of your exam will remain the same unless GARP announces otherwise.
GARP's Announcement Page: https://www.garp.org/#!/important-notices/frm
GARP's Contact Information: https://www.garp.org/#!/about/contact-us
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: JAN 15, 2021
REQUIREMENTS FOR CANDIDATES TAKING JANUARY EXAMS IN PARIS

Due to government restrictions regarding COVID-19, candidates in Paris taking the Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams on January 16 are required to:
  • Complete and bring with them a copy of the Exception Certificate, accessible here, for all travel outside of the government curfew. Select the first option for the Reason for Travel: “Travel between home and place of professional activity or place of teaching and training, work trips that cannot be deferred.”
  • Print and bring two copies of their Admission Ticket. One Admission ticket will be provided for the Exam, and the second ticket is proof, along with the Exception Certificate, that you are out past curfew for an excused purpose.
Candidates follow these directions to be able to sit for the Exam.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: GARP HAS THE DATE OF JANUARY 12TH ON THEIR ANNOUNCEMENT, BUT IT WAS POSTED LAST NIGHT ON THE 14TH. I'M NOT SURE WHEN EMAILS WERE SENT TO CANDIDATES.

UPDATE: JAN 12, 2021
MALAYSIA JANUARY EXAMS POSTPONED TO MAY

Due to recent local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its January 2021 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) Exams in Malaysia. Candidates for the Exams will see these changes:
  • FRM Part I candidates: The Exam will now be offered between May 8–21 and will be computer-based. All candidates can select a preferred Exam date within this Exam window by logging in to the portal.
  • FRM Part II candidates: The Exam will now be given on May 15, 2021 via paper and pencil. All candidates scheduled for the January Exam will automatically be registered for the May Exam.

UPDATE: JAN 12, 2021
GENEVA, SWITZERLAND JANUARY EXAMS POSTPONED TO MAY

Due to recent local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its January 2021 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) Exams in Geneva, Switzerland. Candidates for the Exams will see these changes:
  • FRM Part I candidates: The Exam will now be offered between May 8–21 and will be computer-based. All candidates can select a preferred Exam date within this Exam window by logging in to the portal.
  • FRM Part II candidates: The Exam will now be given on May 15, 2021 via paper and pencil. All candidates scheduled for the January Exam will automatically be registered for the May Exam.
UPDATE: JAN 7, 2021
SAFETY UPDATES FOR CANDIDATES TAKING JANUARY EXAM IN MELBOURNE

GARP is committed to providing a safe testing environment for our candidates. In accordance with the Victorian Government of Australia, we have registered and received approval to proceed with our examination as scheduled. Here you will find the COVIDSafe Event Checklist that was submitted to the Victorian Government, with the regulations and steps taken to ensure a safe testing environment. Please note: There is nothing you are required to do prior to the Exam.

UPDATE: JAN 7, 2021
LONDON JANUARY EXAMS POSTPONED TO MAY

Due to recent local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its January 2021 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in London. Candidates for the Exams will see these changes:
UPDATE: JAN 5, 2021
DUBLIN, IRELAND JANUARY EXAMS POSTPONED TO MAY

Due to recent local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its January 2021 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Dublin, Ireland. Candidates for the Exams will see these changes:
  • FRM Part I candidates: The Exam will now be offered between May 8–21 and will be computer-based. All candidates can select a preferred Exam date within this Exam window once scheduling opens on December 15 by logging in to the portal.
  • FRM Part II candidates: The Exam will now be given on May 15, 2021 via paper and pencil. All candidates scheduled for the January Exam will automatically be registered for the May Exam. There is nothing that you need to do.
MUNICH, GERMANY JANUARY EXAMS POSTPONED TO MAY

Due to recent local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its January 2021 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) Exams in Munich, Germany. Candidates for the Exams will see these changes:
  • FRM Part I candidates: The Exam will now be offered between May 8–21 and will be computer-based. All candidates can select a preferred Exam date within this Exam window once scheduling opens on December 15 by logging in to the portal.
  • FRM Part II candidates: The Exam will now be given on May 15, 2021 via paper and pencil. All candidates scheduled for the January Exam will automatically be registered for the May Exam. There is nothing that you need to do.
FRANKFURT, GERMANY JANUARY EXAMS POSTPONED TO MAY

Due to recent local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its January 2021 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Frankfurt, Germany. Candidates for the Exams will see these changes:
CZECH REPUBLIC JANUARY EXAMS POSTPONED TO MAY

Due to recent local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its January 2021 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Czech Republic. Candidates for the Exams will see these changes:
POLAND JANUARY EXAMS POSTPONED TO MAY

Due to recent local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its January 2021 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Poland. Candidates for the Exams will see these changes:
PHILADELPHIA JANUARY EXAMS POSTPONED TO MAY

Due to recent local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its January 2021 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Philadelphia. Candidates for the Exams will see these changes:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: JANUARY 6, 2021
I've confirmed with GARP that the following locations have been postponed.
They said that details have been emailed and will be posted on the website by the end of today. I will post any further information I receive here.
  • Chicago
  • Czech Republic
  • Dublin
  • Frankfurt
  • London
  • Munich
  • Philadelphia
  • Poland
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: DEC 17, 2020
NEW YORK, NY JANUARY EXAMS POSTPONED TO MAY

Due to recent local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its January 2021 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in New York, NY. Candidates for the Exams will see these changes:
UPDATE: DEC 17, 2020
LOS ANGELES JANUARY EXAMS POSTPONED TO MAY

Due to recent local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its January 2021 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Los Angeles. Candidates for the Exams will see these changes:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: DEC 15, 2020
SAN FRANCISCO JANUARY EXAMS POSTPONED TO MAY

Due to recent local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its January 2021 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in San Francisco. Candidates for the Exams will see these changes:
UPDATE: DEC 9, 2020
ISRAEL JANUARY EXAMS POSTPONED TO MAY

Due to recent local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its January 2021 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) Exam in Israel. Candidates for the Exam will see these changes:
TORONTO JANUARY EXAMS POSTPONED TO MAY

Due to recent local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its January 2021 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Toronto. Candidates for the Exams will see these changes:
PERU JANUARY EXAMS POSTPONED TO MAY

Due to recent local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its January 2021 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Peru. Candidates for the Exams will see these changes:

Last edited:

navneetc107

Can anyone tell me how can I contact GARP for my exam deferral! I had deferred once cause I met with an accident and now I have symptoms of Covid-19! I don't want to risk it and want to defer to the May term.

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
ISRAEL JANUARY EXAMS POSTPONED TO MAY

Due to recent local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its January 2021 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) Exam in Israel. Candidates for the Exam will see these changes:
TORONTO JANUARY EXAMS POSTPONED TO MAY

Due to recent local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its January 2021 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Toronto. Candidates for the Exams will see these changes:
  • ERP Part II candidates: The Exam will now be given on May 15, 2021 and will be computer-based. All candidates scheduled for the January Exam will automatically be registered for the May Exam. On December 15, 2021 you must log in to the GARP portal to confirm the Exam date and location.
  • ERP Part I candidates: GARP will reach out to you personally to discuss your options.
PERU JANUARY EXAMS POSTPONED TO MAY

Due to recent local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its January 2021 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in Peru. Candidates for the Exams will see these changes:
  • ERP Part I candidates: GARP will reach out to you personally to discuss your options.

bvoleg

@evelyn.peng GARP has stated previously that if you were registered to take the 2020 exam and your exam was postponed that you will be tested on the 2020 curriculum. I've readded this information into my original post.
Hi Nicole,

I've registered to take 2020 exam, but I got an email from GARP today which contains the following phrase "..Thank you for your purchase of the 2021 eBook for the FRM Exam Part I."? Do you happen to know if that implies that I will be tested based on 2021 curriculum?

Thanks

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi Nicole,

I've registered to take 2020 exam, but I got an email from GARP today which contains the following phrase "..Thank you for your purchase of the 2021 eBook for the FRM Exam Part I."? Do you happen to know if that implies that I will be tested based on 2021 curriculum?

Thanks
Hello @bvoleg

I am not sure why GARP sent out that message, but you may want to contact them to make sure that they are still testing you on the 2020 curriculum, as they stated that all 2020 candidates that were already registered are supposed to be tested on the 2020 curriculum.

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Its a good point...if there is no change to Part 1 in terms of LO's etc then why is there a need for new ebooks?
I would hope that maybe they have fixed the many errors that were found in their 2020 ebooks, :rolleyes: although there were some LOs added and removed in the 2021 curriculum. I don't think that the small number of LO changes would require entirely new ebooks though.

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
UPDATE: DEC 15, 2020
SAN FRANCISCO JANUARY EXAMS POSTPONED TO MAY

Due to recent local restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, GARP is postponing its January 2021 Financial Risk Manager (FRM®) and Energy Risk Professional (ERP®) Exams in San Francisco. Candidates for the Exams will see these changes:

NEEJ8001

Hi Team ,

Is this the final list of cities where exams will be postponed or GARP can still come with more list of cities where exams would be postponed .

mattheweidinger

Hi Team ,

Is this the final list of cities where exams will be postponed or GARP can still come with more list of cities where exams would be postponed .

Based on what we saw in November, I wouldn't bet against GARP cancelling exams during the week of or the day of - as witnessed in the case of Malaysia, which was cancelled 3-4 hours before.

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Thanks for the update. Do you know if the Los Angeles site will also be postponed?
Hi Team ,

As someone stated above, GARP announced postponements for the November exam right up until the day of the exam so there may be more locations postponed. We have no way of knowing if they will postpone more exams until they announce it. I will continue to post any announcements here, as I check the GARP website many times per day.

dtammerz

Hi Nicole,

Thanks
@bvoleg I also just received this message today, although they did not postpone the January 2021 exam to May 2021 yet for New York City.

mhkpayel20

Hi,

I did register for the November 2020 part 1 exam (NY location), but now the exam has deferred to may 2021, and it is telling me to choose a window of 3 different date range (i.e. between May 8 to May 21 and two more). My questions are:-

1. Will be the exam held on based on the 2020 syllabus, or on the 2021 syllabus? and
2. Do I have to seat for a computer-based exam (which seems to be highly likely)?

Thanks,
Mazharul

Status
Not open for further replies.