2021 Exam Update from GARP (for 2020 postponed exam updates only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nictziak1

Unable to reach GARP here neither. Emails or calls...
My exam location is London and it has been couple of weeks the city is in 'tier 4' (complete) lockdown. Very unlikely it will improve before 16th January and even if they downgrade it to tier 3 it would be the same conditions they deferred the November exam. In November they announced the deferral 4 days before the actual exam which was almost cruel from their part since the government guidance had been the same for almost a month...

micsto

Hi, anyone here scheduled for January on Warsaw? Or any european location? As far as I know, the restrictions will apply until Jan 17th the earliest. I wonder when we will get any information ..

Hi, I am registered for exam part II in Warsaw. In my opinion due to official restrictions, the exam should not take place. However restrictions are publicly known for some time. My best guess is that probably GARP tries to conduct the exam as planned in January.

As far as I am concerned, due to my professional engaments, I would not be able to prepare decently for January exam. Uncertantity makes it even harded to find time for learning. My strategy is hope for moving exam to May or to be lucky on exam.

Madellaine

Hi, anyone here scheduled for January on Warsaw? Or any european location? As far as I know, the restrictions will apply until Jan 17th the earliest. I wonder when we will get any information ..
I'm going to take exam in Warsaw, but I don't think that there is possibility to organize it.. hope that this week Garp will give any update.

wojtek

yes. I am registered in Warsaw and I am expecting the exam to be postponed. The official news? Probably rather later than sooner knowing GARP...

Same here. Waiting for GARP to cancel the exam. They still haven't found a place to host an exam. This is highly demotivating, I don't think I was this lazy at studying and reviewing ever.

Madellaine

Same here. Waiting for GARP to cancel the exam. They still haven't found a place to host an exam. This is highly demotivating, I don't think I was this lazy at studying and reviewing ever.
I'm trying to be motivated all the time, but no chance.. now, for the first time I'm dreaming about exam in May instead of Jan..

Ignas

Hi, I'm supposed to take exam in Warsaw, but have to travel from neighbouring country. Same experience, no answering from GARP side. Since yesterday Poland has established 10 day quarantine requirement for everyone arriving from another country, which makes it impossible for me to come. Most probably GARP will cancel exam anyway, I'm just wondering why it takes so long to decide when all restrictions are imposed at least till Jan 17 in Poland. Or are they searching for individual rooms for each exam taker...

bvoleg

Hello @bvoleg

I recommend that you email or call GARP directly, as they will be able to answer your questions and help you with getting registered.

Called them several times. Every time they promised to find a spot for me but no luck - there's no spot in Toronto or even in Montreal. Called them yesterday again, the same - just promises but no actual results.

nasandratraa

Hi everyone,

Is there anyone taking the January exam in Montreal, Canada?
Do you think the exam will take place?
I live in another province and need to self-isolate after the exam.

Do you think Montreal and Quebec's lockdown will be extended, and will it affect the exam?

If I could reschedule the exam for May, I would have opted for this. It would be better to take FRM2 and CFA2 in May and isolate myself just once instead of twice.

Thank you in advance!

mattheweidinger

Hi everyone,

Do you think Montreal and Quebec's lockdown will be extended, and will it affect the exam?

If I could reschedule the exam for May, I would have opted for this. It would be better to take FRM2 and CFA2 in May and isolate myself just once instead of twice.

Thank you in advance!

I am scheduled to write in Montreal.

As I understand, the November exams went ahead as planned in MTL. There was an order passed in Quebec in November allowing "critical events" such as in person exams, board meetings, etc. to be held with capacity up to 250 people in red zones. I think that the holiday "pause" in Quebec only affects retail outlets.

Still, I am planning to confirm with GARP and the venue this week...

nasandratraa

I am scheduled to write in Montreal.

As I understand, the November exams went ahead as planned in MTL. There was an order passed in Quebec in November allowing "critical events" such as in person exams, board meetings, etc. to be held with capacity up to 250 people in red zones. I think that the holiday "pause" in Quebec only affects retail outlets.

Still, I am planning to confirm with GARP and the venue this week...

Thank you, much appreciated.

I didn't have any information about this "critical events" order... in this case, there will be a good chance it will go as planned.

Let me know if you have any updates. I emailed them but still haven't received a response.

Thank you

mattheweidinger

Thank you, much appreciated.

I didn't have any information about this "critical events" order... in this case, there will be a good chance it will go as planned.

Let me know if you have any updates. I emailed them but still haven't received a response.

Thank you

Here is discussion of the order from the Quebec government which allowed the November exams to take place in Montreal: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/mont...up-to-250-people-in-covid-red-zones-1.5806774

Earlier this morning, the hotel confirmed with that the exams are going ahead as of the knowledge they have TODAY.

I think its ridiculous that the NFL and NHL are going to be permitted to play, that Quebec government run marijuana and alcohol stores are still open, but 20 people may not be able to gather for a one time exam! Keep out fingers crossed that we can finally bang out this test next Saturday in Montreal (and other places). :):D

nasandratraa

Here is discussion of the order from the Quebec government which allowed the November exams to take place in Montreal: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/mont...up-to-250-people-in-covid-red-zones-1.5806774

Earlier this morning, the hotel confirmed with that the exams are going ahead as of the knowledge they have TODAY.

I think its ridiculous that the NFL and NHL are going to be permitted to play, that Quebec government run marijuana and alcohol stores are still open, but 20 people may not be able to gather for a one time exam! Keep out fingers crossed that we can finally bang out this test next Saturday in Montreal (and other places). :):D

Thanks :) Jajaja, To be frank, it would be fine for me if they postpone it for May, I don't really want to self isolate twice Jajaja ;)... but at the same time, I just want to finish with this exam.

I wanted to postpone it to May 2021 but I could not access the setup page ...

Thank you!:)

mattheweidinger

CONFIRMED. Double Tree Hilton has confirmed with me that the "Quebec Holiday Pause" does NOT affect the FRM exams. Direct quote from the hotel event manager below:

" the event can still happen as it is considered Professional Exam. We are open 24hrs/days, 365 days/year, so yes it could of happen during the ‘Holiday Pause’ "

I guess we're on for next Saturday guys! Lets blow apart all the VAR models, Credit support annexes and fixed income models like this next week:

evelyn.peng

Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance!

Hi nasandratraa,

I don't know what GARP would do to respond to the COVID restrictions, if any. If I recall, the November exam went on as planned, while Montreal was in the red zone.

I recommend you call GARP and ask for reschedule to May to see if they can accommodate.

Evelyn

nasandratraa

Hi nasandratraa,

I don't know what GARP would do to respond to the COVID restrictions, if any. If I recall, the November exam went on as planned, while Montreal was in the red zone.

I recommend you call GARP and ask for reschedule to May to see if they can accommodate.

Evelyn

Thank you Evelyn,

Yes, you are right. I should call GARP instead of waiting for them to reply to my email.

Thank you,

Nas

lucalaboranti

Hey guys, quick question: as you know today GARP released the admission tickets with the exact exam location (in my case it's the NH Hotel Frankfurt airport west), so I called the place to know if they had any updates regarding the exam. However, I found out that the hotel is closed until further notice. Do you know if it's technically possible for GARP to hold the exam in a closed hotel? Has anyone heard anything similar to that happening for the October or November exam?

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
Hey guys, quick question: as you know today GARP released the admission tickets with the exact exam location (in my case it's the NH Hotel Frankfurt airport west), so I called the place to know if they had any updates regarding the exam. However, I found out that the hotel is closed until further notice. Do you know if it's technically possible for GARP to hold the exam in a closed hotel? Has anyone heard anything similar to that happening for the October or November exam?
@lucalaboranti

GARP announced changes in October right up until the exam day, so there is still a possibility that some exams will be postponed or the locations will be changed. I'm continuing to check the website updates throughout each day and will post anything important here. There were some locations during the last two exams where the hotel was not open, but the exam went forward and GARP made the announcement for the new location a couple of days before the exam.

evelyn.peng

Hi,
I know for the May 2021 exam, we will be tested on the new FRM r
Hello @celclevil89 @zer0

I don't believe that they are going to separate the 2020 and 2021 candidates for the May 2021 exam. On Friday afternoon, I received information after attending a call for prep providers that GARP intentionally limited the changes in the 2021 curriculum for this reason. So, it sounds like they will be testing the 2020 candidates who are taking the May 2021 exam on the 2021 curriculum. The person who hosted the call stated that she will let us know for sure, and I will make sure to provide that information when we receive it. There are VERY few changes in the 2021 curriculum. I've published the curriculum change analysis, and there are just a few new LOs added, and the Current Issues in Part 2, which changes every year. The majority of the curriculum remains exactly the same as 2020.

Hi Nicole,

At the risk of being overly cautious, I wanted to confirm that the 2021 curriculum changes does NOT apply to the January 16 exam. I can call GARP to confirm but I feel the exam should have already been written/designed by now so there'd be not much time to incorporate new materials.
Thank you,
Evelyn

Status
Not open for further replies.