Thoughts on the FRM 2007 Exam...today

jyothi1965

David

before these thoughts get out of mind, I have penned down something which I hope will be useful to all members.

As expected. FRM 2007 was a toughie - it seems that GARP is getting tougher - very few questions were straightforward. there were a couple of black swans too. But the paradox is like this: if you happen to be very well prepared, you understand the question and try to solve it - but you run into a time problem. If you are unprepared - well time is not a constraint but then getting it right is an issue.

I think the applied nature of the questions, the compounded options and the reasoning skills needed over and above domain knowledge have not been highlighted as part of the FRM strategy. More often than not students have focused only on acquiring domain knowledge leaving out other skills needed. (problem solving and reasoning)

will write separately to you on some issues

Jyothi
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FAQs on FRM 2007

How connected are the LOs and the questions?

The questions are a form of applying your risk thoughts – so that is why GARP perhaps calls is Applying Instructional Materials (AIMs) – they are not directly or linearly connected to the underlying which is the LO. You will really have to know how to reason and think though choices.

Questions – Simple or compounded?

By and large the questions are compounded (meaning you have to search for multiple answers), which makes it more difficult than a direct question with a simple answer.

Domain Knowledge?

Knowledge of risk management is vital (goes without saying) – but reasoning skills and English language skills are equally important. How else will you decipher questions like “NOT important” “Least Important” etc Logical reasoning is embedded in many questions and often you falter in eliminating wrong choices because of poor reasoning skills.

Race Against Time?

In India, students are aware of CAT (common admission test) for the MBA programmes – one of the toughest exams in the world. It is a huge race against time. FRM is similar – it is designed so that time is short. How short?

It all depends on your speed and the way you attack questions. In CAT a proven tactic is to go against the order and solve questions in a random fashion. This is very evident in FRM also. The easy questions were 131-140, and hidden in between. The first three questions were the toughest in the entire exam. So watch out!!!

Number Crunching ability – How serious?

Dead, dead serious on this. Unless you can solve questions in a jiffy – don’t even think of taking the exam. This should be a wide variety of question types – from all areas of risk management. You should be a top pro in problem solving. This is ABS ABS important.

Any clustering of questions?- predictability?

Questions are probably handcrafted with loving care by GARP’s academic team (probably spend months in developing choices so that you make all the mistakes that they want you to make).

Clustering is not evident. But a few clusters with high repeatability that I have noticed:

1. Options trading strategies
2. RAROC
3. VAR – sq root,
4. Hedging
5. Basel
6. default risk (especially transition matrices)
7. Financial instruments – all kinds of complicated questions – forex, swaps, pension surplus,

But expect fat tails in the questions a good number - of these you will probably be seeing for the time!!

Pass or fail?

Since it is relative grading you can’t say anything. But the logic is:

If in every year a greater proportion of unprepared students are taking the exam and you happen to be better prepared than the average, your chances are better off.

The reason is that these guys will push down the percentiles so that you come out with a better percentile. You have to hope that everybody else around you does poorly so that you can have outperformance even with your poor preparations!!.

GARP says that around 40-45% of those who take the exam make it finally – but the numbers don’t seem to add up – since inception there are only 10,800 members which makes it roughly 1000 (per year) from 1996-2007. (Of course this average has no meaning – but this is just a way of analysing).

At the end of the day, FRM exam is genuinely a tough nut to crack:

• Race against time – (were you aware of this?)
• Need to have very well developed problem solving and reasoning skills
• High level of domain knowledge - Ability to recognise the underlying LO and find out whether you are ITM, or OTM.
• Last few weeks can make a huge difference – know how to peak on the day of the exam
• Ability to recall instantaneously comes with absolute familiarity with the subject – unless you know risk management like the back of the hand – don’t even think of sitting!
• Sustainability – you can relax even for a minute – the pressure is continuous from morning till afternoon – after some time you just want to give up!! DON’T!!

Lastly one thing about BT. Yes, the stuff on this portal is far superior than what you get elsewhere – but the most important resource is David himself – he is a great mentor. Learn to think through concepts like he does.

Over a period of time the blocks begin to fit

kswaroop

Somehow, I too felt that in both sessions, the last 20 questions were the easiest of the lot - but by the time I reached them was very little time to think through them. Other comments I heard from candidates - session-I questions were too wordy, session-II was (slightly) more numerical.

There were quite a few that required you to know correlation, esp. in context of portfolio. There were at least 2 questions (perhaps 2) that required special case of portfolio volatility (equal weighted / equal returns/volatility). As David had pointed out, quantitative section may officially just have 10% weight, but it was actually more like 40%.

On the domain related parts, there were several (I think close to 7) questions involving trading strategies, including their fitment for purpose in achieving some risk targets.

Calculator usage is required only for TVM, log and exp, memory and the four basic math operators. Of these, the only 'new' feature of business calculators is TVM - which was very nicely covered in one of the movies. However, I do want to mention, that besides the cases listed above - many a times I felt I was slowed/hindered because of having a calculator at disposal in the exam! A deeper understanding of relationships (e.g. if 'this' goes up, 'that' goes down - at same/log scale etc) would have been much more handy.

Last but not the least, I want to thank David. The only real preparation I had for this exam was from movies here - which motivated me enough to at least sit the exam! I must 'fess up to not having spent enough time to have the recommended 'redundant' exposure (so I will be back here ;). There are usually two movies per topic (part 1 and part2). If I may, I request David to include a third movie (90 minutes or so) per topic to work through the (sample/last few years') questions - 2 easy ones and 7 tough / compound questions. Also, just the way there are pdfs consolidating the formulae, another pdf consolidating the relationships/graphs too would help.

- ks

balasub18

I totally agree with Jyothi's words here. In my experience today, the key point was all about APPLICATION of the LO's and able to THINK CRITICALLY. Just 3-5% of all questions were as straightforward as it could get. Questions have been carefully tailored to purposefully make it as tough and confounding as possible. Memorizing formulae along with the a word or two on the LO's IS JUST NOT ENOUGH. One really needs to understand the essence of risk management practices to come out with flying colors. I should confess though I was grossly underprepared and will be here again!

Thanks
Bala

Chintan

Associate
Hello David !

The exam yesterday was really very difficult. I had solved more than 700 questions in toto (bt + schweser) but wat came up in exam was so different...and really tough.

The first half was bad....but the second half was pretty ok.....so dont know where I will land up considering the overall score...

Because of time crunch, I first proceeded from the start scanning the ones which i can solve easily...and then after solving them, I came back to the questions which I found as too difficult and applied a kinda guesswork without going into too much nitty gritty considering the fact that completing the paper was extremely important.

David, what is the approx required score to pass ? I know that it is based on a percentile of the top 5 scores......but any clue as to where does this score fall (considering the past trend)....

Also, I'm quite sure that question no. 80th in the second half had one error...it asked about no. of contracts long / short.......but unlike other questions, it DID NOT HAVE buy and sell each for both the quantities given.....for the right quantity - they had given buy only or sell only but not buy and sell both.........I'm really quite sure about this and i spent more than 7 minutes on this question unnecessarily....How does GARP treat such an error post it comes to their knowledge / attention ?

Anywayz...Thanks a lot for yr efforts in the preparation and I hope that I get to see positive result in Jan.....though i'm quite apprehensive considering the first half of the paper....

Thanks a lot and good luck to everyone !