passed L1 and L2. Scores in L2 not very impressive. does it matter?

rony_frm

It's still sinking in...
L1: 1,1,1,2
L2: 2,4,3,3,2

So excited!!!. can't thank BT enough..honestly...david you might get bored of reading it agin and agin but your practice questions are a game changer for the preparation.
However I have one apprehension. How important are the marks? Since I took both levels together, had less time to prepare towards the end and so my marks for L2 are not that great. Does it matter? I mean in the credit risk management its 4th quartile. How much does it matter.

Ankur S

Congratulations for passing both levels in 1 go !!

IMHO quartiles will not matter as you start floating your CV with FRM designation. What matters is that with designation, you have proved that you have shown dedication to go through a rigorous exam course and have passed in 1 go. 2 levels in 1 day is too much course work to cover.

I feel more good after seeing that Univ of Connecticut has started a Masters program in FRM (15 mth course)...
http://msfrm.uconn.edu/pages/MS_CourseDescription.html

If you look at the topics covered, its essentially and largely what we have just finished in FRM ...so in my mind i have just finished a masters program in a much cheaper way. Obv MS program will have something more like company visits and classroom teaching but who cares, we have the same knowledge/certification.

So in essence what i am trying to get to is..... what matters is that the program you have just concluded....you were successfull .... IMO this will matter in future..(I have done masters as well, nobody asks my GPA :)..they just see the degree)

Hope this helps.

Ankur

Jas

Does it Matter?
Short Answer - No
Long Answer - It's all in the mind

Relax and feel happy. Now you have to just exhibit the 2 yr relevant work ex to get your Certificate.

It's still sinking in...
L1: 1,1,1,2
L2: 2,4,3,3,2

So excited!!!. can't thank BT enough..honestly...david you might get bored of reading it agin and agin but your practice questions are a game changer for the preparation.
However I have one apprehension. How important are the marks? Since I took both levels together, had less time to prepare towards the end and so my marks for L2 are not that great. Does it matter? I mean in the credit risk management its 4th quartile. How much does it matter.

ArbitUP

I don't think it matters at all other than 'bragging' on the day scores are out. In a couple weeks literally nobody will care. And honestly your quartiles are not something you want to put on your resume anyways.

Aleksander Hansen

I don't think it matters at all other than 'bragging' on the day scores are out. In a couple weeks literally nobody will care. And honestly your quartiles are not something you want to put on your resume anyways.

True, but some companies might want to have a look at it nevertheless.

Jas

Have you come across companies wanting to look at detailed grades / quartiles while trying to select a person (except maybe campus interviews from a college)? Once the person is selected, it becomes a mere HR formality to submit the Certificate or Gradesheets.

Most of the time, I find employers more interested in the brand, rather than in the relative quality of the brand.

True, but some companies might want to have a look at it nevertheless.

Aleksander Hansen

Have you come across companies wanting to look at detailed grades / quartiles while trying to select a person (except maybe campus interviews from a college)? Once the person is selected, it becomes a mere HR formality to submit the Certificate or Gradesheets.

Most of the time, I find employers more interested in the brand, rather than in the relative quality of the brand.

IBanks and Hedge Funds don't take things on face value. You are asked to submit for more junior-level positions. It is true, however, that if you are interviewing for a more senior level position what matters is what you have actually accomplished.

ArbitUP

I've never heard of a firm asking to see your quartiles or marks for an exam such as the CFA trifecta or the FRM. Never. In fact your CFA breakdown isn't even available to you after a year or so after your exam (I believe that's the case). Sure I guess you can keep a hard copy but that's ridiculous. Literally nobody cares.

Now you might actually have to prove you are Chartered or Certified. Few ways to do that, but the huge frame sitting in your office with your charter/certificate usually does the trick.

I'm all for digging deeper into the areas that may help you do your work better. In the end that's the whole point. Now the areas that you'll never touch again? Don't worry about them.

Jas

Agree.
Charters and Certifications are different from a Degree where there would be a GPA or other such criteria (eg: papers published and referenced for a PhD)
Maybe for freshers, it does matter a bit.
Beyond that, I have never known any employer attaching any meaning to the quartiles or detailed grades.

qin841121

I feel more good after seeing that Univ of Connecticut has started a Masters program in FRM (15 mth course)...​

A little out of topic here.

There are many Masters which is CFA affiliated and now I see that this Masters Ankur is talking about is FRM affiliated.

If one has passed his FRM, do you think the person should take this Masters? I think many would have agreed that it is a waste of money to take this Masters when you can do it cheaper and faster by registering for 2 levels of FRM. Won't these kind of programs be bad marketing for the school? What do you think?

Jas

There are more programs like this
http://www.garp.org/risk-education/academic-partnerships.aspx

And the value of these programs is increasing. The benefits are immense and marketability increases with such associations.
Simple question - Why would an employer consider a plain FRM or CFA if he can get an MS with FRM / CFA? - one who has gone through rigamarole of tough classes and exams rather than someone who has probably just "memorized" few topics and managed to clear a set of exams without understanding what all this is about.

Disclaimer: Some of my observations may be based on some individuals whom I may not consider worthy of the certification / charter they hold :rolleyes: