Exam Feedback May 2016 Part 1 Exam Feedback

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
We hope that everyone did well on the exam! We would love to hear any feedback that you have. How did it go? Did you encounter unexpected questions? Thank you in advance for any feedback you can provide!

images-jpg.284

CMalcolm

Subscriber
Did all the BT exercises, quizzes and practice FRM exams (incl 2016) but the FRM part 1 today seemed waaaay more difficult. Not sure how to properly prepare unless have access to actual past exams.

yooouug

I feel very despressed. I think 2016 may part1 was more difficult than I expected... It is like shooting in the dark
conversely, I feel 2016 may part 2 was plain than practice exam (but, I guessed many questions)

i did decently well from questions 1 to 50 in 2 hrs..but screwed up from 51 to 75. last 25 questions went decent enough...theory was confusing while numericals were like never straight forward

gaurav11235

Yoooung, Did you appear for both part 1 and part 2? If yes, How was part 2? There is a separate thread to discuss part 2 questions.

yooouug

Yoooung, Did you appear for both part 1 and part 2? If yes, How was part 2? There is a separate thread to discuss part 2 questions.
yeah, yes I sequentially apply part 1 and part 2 exam today.. so I worried about level of difficulty of part1
part 2 was concentrated to fundamental concept.
but I can't remember all 180 questions ;( so I couldn't reply on part2 thread
A concept like Basel capital ratio is not appear in 2016 may part2.(but FRTB is set on exam)
current issue part was clearly easy but charge many proportion
main topic was KMV model(distance t default), calculate credit VaR, implied volatility, CVA, calculating ES using table etc..

Last edited:

gaurav11235

yeah, yes I sequentially apply part 1 and part 2 exam today.. so I worried about level of difficulty of part1
A concept like Basel capital ratio is not appear in 2016 may part2.(but FRTB is set on exam)
main topic was KMV model(distance to default), calculate credit VaR, implied volatility, CVA, calculating ES using table etc..
main topic was KMV model(distance to default), calculate credit VaR, implied volatility, CVA, calculating ES using table etc..
Can you add questions on current issues, if you remember some? I am trying to match answers.

MissHetty

Indeed, the number of theory questions was more than I expected. There was a number of similar questions on unexpected loss. Calculating VaR, hedge ratio and option pricing using Binomial and BSM with dividends. I also finished 1-50 within 2 hours but 50-100 had some time burners and I agree, the theory was confusing. I randomly guessed about 10 questions and made educated guesses on additional 10 :(. This excludes the wrong answers I was confident about. Fingers crossed. I wonder what the pass mark is?

Desijaise

The exam was very theoretical! I had practiced sooooo much on VaR and Quants and felt like the questions were very tricky. It was not straightforward. Plus there was very little time to dissect the tricky parts :(. I felt so good about VaR and CAPM and quants before the exam .. Not anymore :))

raya

I've been working more than 300 hours for this exam... I had minimum 70% on all practice exams I did. But today I felt like I didn't work enough. I focused on quantitative but the exam was so qualitative. I failed

Desijaise

I've been working more than 300 hours for this exam... I had minimum 70% on all practice exams I did. But today I felt like I didn't work enough. I focused on quantitative but the exam was so qualitative. I failed
Same here Raya! The quantitative parts were tricky too :(

farahm

the exam was very difficult. I agree with everyone, the first 50 questions were okay. Questions from 50 to 70 were the tough ones. So many unexpected questions - UL, Keyrate, tons of qualitative risk management questions (i found the answer choices not to be obvious).... it was tough.. The GARP practice exams are definitely not an indication of the level or type of questions given. I guessed about 10 because i ran out of time and 10 -20 educated guesses. Every question given was tricky... ahhhh it was intense !! not sure about the pass rate ....