Why does it take so long for GARP to release the exam result?

sxbwjm

I mean it's now all computer based test. They should be able to score the test instantaneously once the test window is closed. Why do they keep us waiting for 2 months?

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
to add to the reply to your same question here ... i.e.,
You immoderately gets scored and you can see the same on your exam window. I sat today for my FRM part-1 exam and scored 65%. But pass/fail depending on percentile system will be released by early September.
... I suppose the ostensible reason is that it takes time to calibrate the raw scores into pass/fail which is a function of the total set.

But I would add:
  1. It shouldn't take that long
  2. GARP has a track record of writing inaccurate or imprecise questions, and judging by the feedback, this year is no exception. Therefore, they will be receiving many appeals or challenges to certain questions. The process is non transparent, probably because it cannot be proudly displayed, but error-checking their own questions takes time. (my personal hunch is that this is the primary driver)

Last edited:

nc27

... I suppose the ostensible reason is that it takes time to calibrate the raw scores into pass/fail which is a function of the total set.

But I would add:
  2. GARP has a track record of writing inaccurate or imprecise questions, and judging by the feedback, this year is no exception. Therefore, they will be receiving many appeals or challenges to certain questions. The process is non transparent, probably because it cannot be proudly displayed, but error-checking their own questions takes time. (my personal hunch is that this is the primary driver)
I mean, the garp guys are not supposed to be profesionnals exposed to risk management ? I mean "serious" people with phd, quant profile and all that stuff .... how can they (repeatedly!) make errors for a "basic" risk management exam ...

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
I mean, the garp guys are not supposed to be profesionnals exposed to risk management ? I mean "serious" people with phd, quant profile and all that stuff .... how can they (repeatedly!) make errors for a "basic" risk management exam ...
to whom exactly do you refer; i.e., who are the quants/Phds who are active in exam development? Any names? Our members routinely identify mistakes ... I wouldn't care except to judge by the output. I don't care about formal qualifications, I care about quality, accuracy, depth, etc.

nc27

to whom exactly do you refer; i.e., who are the quants/Phds who are active in exam development? Any names? Our members routinely identify mistakes ... I wouldn't care except to judge by the output. I don't care about formal qualifications, I care about quality, accuracy, depth, etc.
I really don't know but here I found a list of the garp board of trustee : https://www.garp.org/about/board-of-trustees

"A board of trustees is an appointed or elected group of individuals that has overall responsibility for the management of an organization. The board of trustees is typically the governing body of an organization and seeks to ensure the best interest of stakeholders in all types of management decisions"

If the definition is correct, at the very least they should look at the quality of the exam content because it seems that it will damage their reputation in the long run ....

Last edited:

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
@nc27 yep, I personally reached out to every single one of them when I wrote my Memo (https://forum.bionicturtle.com/thre...-committee-and-garps-board-of-trustees.22758/) in the hopes of addressing a >30% error rate on the (large!) sample of historical exam questions. None of them seemed directly involved. To repeat, zero of them appeared to have any hands-on engagement with the actual exam. Understandable, after all, it's sort of boring, tedious work, yes ... As far as I can tell, these Board/Trustees are uncompensated (aka, prestige for the resume) positions.

nc27

@nc27 yep, I personally reached out to every single one of them when I wrote my Memo (https://forum.bionicturtle.com/thre...-committee-and-garps-board-of-trustees.22758/) in the hopes of addressing a >30% error rate on the (large!) sample of historical exam questions. None of them seemed directly involved. To repeat, zero of them appeared to have any hands-on engagement with the actual exam. Understandable, after all, it's sort of boring, tedious work, yes ... As far as I can tell, these Board/Trustees are uncompensated (aka, prestige for the resume) positions.
Solution: Link a good compensation package to the quality of the exam and we will get a state of the art FRM exam ehehe :)

sxbwjm

But I would add:
Thanks, David.
BTW, I am your fan and watched a lot of your videos on YouTube. I am going shop the bionic turtle course for part II, if I pass my July part I exam.