Prep and practice set from GARP and Handbook

dandasr

Hi,

I just started prep for L1 in Nov.

1) Are the exam sets downloaded from GARP (2007) the same as those in Handbook CD (Jorian)?

2) I am familiar with most of the topics of L1. It's the volume of information to cover is what worries me. Are we expected to remember 70+ pages of formulas (BT Notes)? Any suggestions for short term prep?

3) I am spending lot of time downloading pieces from BT website. It's frustrating that I can't find things in one place. Could some point me to locations where practice questions/sets are located?

Regards,
dandasr

dandasr

David,

Yes, I see them. I also see some under blog, forum, and learn (resources/practice) sections of the site. It's confusing to see which ones I should pickup.

I understand 2009 pdfs you pointed contain answers to the assigned reading chapter questions. What are the rest for? For e.g. what is Focus on Quantitative Methods based on? I could not locate any information about it.

Do quizzes contain additional practice questions not covered elsewhere? It seems they were meant for 2008 FRM exam. What parts do I need for Level 1 exam? Are there any 2009 L1 practice questions not in GARP?

Thanks,
dandasr

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Dandasr,

The point of the "Practice Questions" is to collect the questions into one area so that, as a paid member, you don't need to hunt around for them. Yes, we have questions in blog and forum. Why? so customers can follow-up and inquire for better learning....
some of the richest insights arise from the follow-on discussion...if the blog and the forum confuse, you might just pretend they aren't there b/c the questions end up in PDFs anyway
(the blog is mainly for my discipline and the small % of customers who want daily discipline: the few customers who've been working the blog with me since the start of the year are in the best position to pass). So, what you call confusing is our hard work to try and meet different customer styles :)

Yes, we make available the archive from 2008 because most of those are still relevant...the difference here, from some others, is we label as such (to be honest) rather than pretend they are new...but most of those are still great questions (frankly)

"What parts do I need for Level 1 exam? Are there any 2009 L1 practice questions not in GARP?"
Yes, we have many many L1 practice questions not in the GARP: the annotated L1 has several questions for each GARP L1 question; all of those "annotations" are questions I wrote freshly for the 2009 ...

...only the orginial question is from the exam, the rest are either (i) from assigned texts or (ii) original questions we wrote. Unlike many (most?) of my competitors, I have written many fresh questions for 2009 but we also have textbook questions (Hull, Gujarati) which are attributed (again: unlike some of my competitor who copy e.g. Hull but do not attribute) and, in many cases, annotated with additional follow-up...

you might start with the looking at the annotated sample L1. If you actually look at that you will see it contains many, many questions beyond GARP's that BT (me) wrote freshly for 2009. (Including corrections where GARP has made mistakes)

David