Course Getting Started With Your Purchased Materials

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
You've purchased a study package, so now where do you start!? Our team is here to help you every step of the way! We are very excited to welcome you to the Bionic Turtle community, and we look forward to helping you master financial risk!

Before you get started, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page to answer any questions that you may have about our website and your purchased materials. We also recommend that you read our Publishing Process post in the forum, which explains our process of updating the materials each year. You can view all of your paid materials by clicking on My Courses at the top of the page and then click on the course that you purchased (i.e. Part 1 Basic, Part 2 Advanced, etc.)

Study Planner Tips

1. All materials are organized in the Study Planner by part, topic, and reading. Specifically, readings are located within topics, which are listed under either Part 1 or Part 2. The sequence matches the current GARP FRM syllabus.

2. The materials are identified by the type of resource: study notes, question sets, instructional videos, learning spreadsheets and interactive quizzes.

3. If you do not see a resource for a corresponding FRM syllabus reading, then either we have not yet published it or we simply do not plan to publish it. With respect to missing resources, please do not inquire by email. We are aware of the exact syllabus: if a reading is missing we already know about it.

Visit our blog page, for more tips on getting started with your study plan and utilizing the forum: https://www.bionicturtle.com/blog/.

We are always available by email for any personal support questions that you may have. You can email us at [email protected]. Please only use email for customer support questions. All content questions regarding the concepts in the FRM exam should be asked in the forum. :)

Last edited:

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi @Nicole Seaman ,

Are daily questions also included in study notes or just in this forum?
Hello @lavi5h

All of the daily practice questions are compiled into practice question sets when there is a complete set posted in the forum. For example, we just completed Part 2, Jorion Chapters 6 & 11 practice questions in the forum last week. So, today, a new practice question set for that reading was published. If you are on the main page of the forum, you can see under Today's Daily Questions it states, "Paid members please note: you do not need to collect practice questions one at a time! After a chapter (or section of related chapters) is finished, Nicole collects them into a single PDF file and uploads to the Study Planner. Most paid members will want to go straight to the study planner (unless you want to discuss/etc in the forum)."

Thank you,

Nicole

lavi5h

Hello @lavi5h

All of the daily practice questions are compiled into practice question sets when there is a complete set posted in the forum. For example, we just completed Part 2, Jorion Chapters 6 & 11 practice questions in the forum last week. So, today, a new practice question set for that reading was published. If you are on the main page of the forum, you can see under Today's Daily Questions it states, "Paid members please note: you do not need to collect practice questions one at a time! After a chapter (or section of related chapters) is finished, Nicole collects them into a single PDF file and uploads to the Study Planner. Most paid members will want to go straight to the study planner (unless you want to discuss/etc in the forum)."

Thank you,

Nicole
Thank you for your info

Flashback

Hi All
I'm planning about taking both parts in November this year. May I purchase and use 2018 both BT and Schweser material for November? I mean is there changes in material between May and November within current year? Thank you.

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
HI @Flashback The FRM syllabus never changes from May to November within a calendar year. Rather, it changes once a year, from November 201[X] to May 201[X+1]. Although 2018 was the first time that the syllabus was essentially unchanged from 2017 to 2018 (except for T9 Current Issues and textbook version updates like Gregory's CVA to xVA) but even these were just changes from 2017 to 2018: within 2018, the November 2018 syllabus will be identical to the May 2018 syllabus. I hope that helps, thanks!

Flashback

Is there some kind of topic tests with many questions for each topic on Bionic Turtle? I found only few questions for each chapter in Study Planner as well as 6 Mock tests.

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @Flashback We have question sets at every level; there are three levels: reading (e..g, R1.P1.T1.Crouhy), Topic (T1 to T9), and Part (P1 or P2). With respect to the Topic level, at the bottom of each topic (e.g., https://www.bionicturtle.com/courses/foundations-of-risk-management/ ) there will be a "Topic X Review" and it will contain both a Quiz and a Question set (see below for Topic 1). @Nicole Seaman will check this thread tomorrow (Monday) if you require further assistance. Thanks!

0225-topic1-screen.jpg

Flashback

Eh.. now I see, I looked only 1st chapter, didn't find that each chapter has short question set. Fine.
I'm preparing for November. Thus, I'm still in lightly phase :)

Giulia.Geraci

Hi david,
why Foundation of RM in Bionic Turtle program is not aligned with GARP books?

For example, within the study planner, I found many time chapter 4 (just ERM in GARP books). In BT I found also "portfolio management" chapter, not included in GARP books. Could you clarify this point?

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi david,
why Foundation of RM in Bionic Turtle program is not aligned with GARP books?

For example, within the study planner, I found many time chapter 4 (just ERM in GARP books). In BT I found also "portfolio management" chapter, not included in GARP books. Could you clarify this point?
Hello @Giulia.Geraci

Please note that I moved your question to this thread (the study note error thread where you originally posted are only for errors that you find in the study notes). The original post in this thread includes the information that is sent via email as soon as you purchase your study package on our website. It has helpful tips on getting started with your study materials.

Our Study Planner is organized according to the GARP curriculum...not the GARP books. We follow the exact order of the curriculum that GARP provides each year. You can download the study guide and learning objectives here in the forum resources section: https://forum.bionicturtle.com/resources/categories/frm-planning-garp.2/. You will notice that our Study Planner is split up into Part 1 and Part 2 materials. Under each Part, you will find the Topics and then Readings. Under each Reading you will find the study materials associated with that specific reading.

Thank you,

Nicole

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hey folks,
New to the site, so would appreciate some help.
In many question sets, the following note appears at the bottom:
"We have also provided individual links for each question to their respective forum discussion."

I wasn't able to find any clickable links. Case in point: https://learn.bionicturtle.com/topic/question-set-crouhy-chapters-1-2-4/

What am I missing? Thanks in advance.
Hello @sparty

The clickable links are on the answer pages in the question set PDF. They are the links to the forum where those practice questions originated, and where you can ask questions or discuss those practice questions.

Thank you,

Nicole

Last edited by a moderator:

Risksage

Hi, I am a new member and in the list of items that are available to me, I see 'Personalized To-Do List & Bookmarks'. I couldn't figure how to create this personalized to do list. Can anyone help?

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hi, I am a new member and in the list of items that are available to me, I see 'Personalized To-Do List & Bookmarks'. I couldn't figure how to create this personalized to do list. Can anyone help?
Hello @Risksage

I also responded to your email yesterday regarding this question. The study planner doesn't specifically say "to-do list" or "bookmarks", but there are checkboxes so you can keep track of the materials that you have studied. Once you have completed a set of materials, you can simply mark it as complete. This gives you a personalized to-do list of what you still need to study. The study planner also shows your course progress in the sidebar so you can see how much you have completed overall.

study planner marked as complete.png

The study planner is organized according to the exact order of the FRM curriculum, but with the option to complete the materials that you've covered already, it provides you the ability to study out of order if you choose. If you take a look at our study planner, you will see the checkboxes that I am referring to. Once you start using the study planner, you will see how this creates a personalized to-do list according to the order that you want to study the materials. I hope this helps.

Thank you,

Nicole

sparty

Apologies if this question has been answered before.

I'm a Part 1 "professional" customer. I wanted to ask if the literally hundreds of spreadsheets David uses (between YouTube and the site) are all available within the study planner section for paid members?

Or are the various spreadsheets scattered through the site? Thanks!

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi @sparty The short answer is about the spreadsheets is: no, not immediately, but yes, eventually! We work in a continuous update mode, so we revise the spreadsheets in batches:
  • With respect to youtube, after we finish a playlist sequence, we incorporate (organize) the revised spreadsheets into an update version of the associated workbook(s) in the SP. For example, we just finished a sub-series of 36 videos associated with Hull's P1.T3 (playlist here at http://trtl.bz/bt-yt-playlist-t3-products). Shortly after we finished this playlist, we updated the associated learning XLS so they contained an organized set of them, located here: https://learn.bionicturtle.com/topic/learning-spreadsheet-hull-chapters-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-10-and-11/ In this way, eventually the learning XLS does contain an organized set of the associated youtube video XLS versions, but it won't contain the latest because it lags until we have time to perform a "batch update."
  • With respect to the forum, similarly, we have a project manager that assigns the XLS in a continuous update cycle. Each learning XLS is updated sequentially with relevant material from the forum; e.g., if a new problem is solved that utilizes a spreadsheet, if replying to a question produced a more intuitive version.
In this way, the intention is for the learning XLS workbooks in the Study Planner to contain the best, most organized version of all developed sheets. However, there is a lag. At any given time, there are many sheets (or really versions of sheets) that have not yet been incorporated up into the SP. I hope that's helpful!

Last edited:

wtys007

Hello,

I recently signed up for this platform. Where can I find the practice question bank? I only have access to the few mock exams.

Thanks.