Frm 1 Foundation Video Part 1, Topic 1

frmengineer

Hi David,

I am watching FRM 1 Foundation video Part 1 Topic 1. In the video, you talk about Stulz Chapter 2 while the notes, you have Stulz Chapter 3. Thus, the video and the note are not consistent. Please advice !

Thanks

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Sorry, I might have checked that. No problem! For transparency sake, we have a no-edit policy (for transparency) except for spam. But we do move threads if appropriate; e.g., the Announcements we keep clear for key messages. Thanks for using the forum!

Aleksander Hansen

Just previewed the new video in mv4 format on my iPad David, and it's looking good; the quality is much better than those of the 2011 videos. Not sure if that's the recording or Apple's firmware upgrade. (what I'm really looking forward to is watching them next Friday on the new iPad though) .

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi ahansen, that is great to hear, I'm glad you noticed we produced to mv4. I hope it's at least in part due to the production, as I did get techsmith's help (they publish Camtasia) and the mv4 format-settings are supposed to work for iPad (I don't have an iPad myself, yet, so I haven't been able to personally test). Thank you for the quick feedback!

Aleksander Hansen

I guess I should correct myself and say MPEG-4 (mp4).
Another thing I noticed, which is, in my opinion, an equally important improvement, is that you can now download the videos directly from an iPad (and iPhone). A great improvement as one previously had to download and import to iTunes on your pc/Mac and then sync with your device. Like Einstein said, "simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
Great job David and Suzanne.

PS! For interested iPhone/iPad users: you cannot download directly using safari - you need to do it using a browser such as, e.g., Atomic Web that has a dedicated File download function.

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi ahansen, Yes, I stand corrected too: the new pad-compatible download format is MP4 (the previous remain Mv4, and Andrew cleverly just enabled the sidebar label to read and reflect the correct file format!). Really glad to hear it's more helpful. (Credit to our developers Shawn & Andrew @ www.eecoder.com, Suzanne and I just ask for stuff :) )

LL

Hello David / Suzanne -
In the part 1 of the video, you have given an extract from the spread sheet titled '1.a.1 Intro to Var'. But when I opened that spreadsheet (its from 2011, there was nothing published for 2012), the content was different than what is shown in the video. Also, in the video you mentioned that the sheet has two workbooks. However, this has only one.
Please correct me if I am looking at the wrong sheet.
Thanks and Regards
LL

trabala38

Hi ahansen,

As I have an iPad, I am interested in downloading the video files directly from the browser. And ideally, to save them directly so I can access them via the built-in "Videos" application.

I downloaded the Atomic Lite browser, however when trying to download a video file from Bionic Turtle, it just opens a black page...

Could you tell me if I need to upgrade to full version of Atomic Web browser, to make it work ? Or is there another free browser/application that would let me download and save the video file ?

Thank you !

Regards,

trabala38

LL

David -
When I viewed the video further I realized that the first tab is missing from the 2011 excel. The video further shows the extract of the second tab and the excel sheet corresponds to it. However, the concepts of the first tab are explained in the study notes. So I am good :cool:
Just thought to update here in case you would want to add the first tab to the excel.
Thanks and Regards
LL

Aleksander Hansen

Hi ahansen,

As I have an iPad, I am interested in downloading the video files directly from the browser. And ideally, to save them directly so I can access them via the built-in "Videos" application.

I downloaded the Atomic Lite browser, however when trying to download a video file from Bionic Turtle, it just opens a black page...

Could you tell me if I need to upgrade to full version of Atomic Web browser, to make it work ? Or is there another free browser/application that would let me download and save the video file ?

Thank you !

Regards,

trabala38

I believe you need to upgrade to the full version (at least that's what I have and it works... Only $0.99 though.

You have the choice of several other browsers with the same capability - some the same price, some around $4.99). I downloaded it just because it was a) cheap, b) had almost 1500 reviews and c) an average of 4.5 star rating.
(I only use it for downloading files though and use Safari for everything else although it might be a good browser)

David Harper CFA FRM

David Harper CFA FRM
Subscriber
Hi LL,

Yes, apologies, we haven't uploaded the T1 associated XLS quite yet (or any XLS quite yet). The T1 XLS will probably publish by end of day, including the two sheet VaR to which you refer. Thank you for looking forward to it, I always get excited that somebody is keen to look at the XLS!

Suzanne Evans

David -
When I viewed the video further I realized that the first tab is missing from the 2011 excel. The video further shows the extract of the second tab and the excel sheet corresponds to it. However, the concepts of the first tab are explained in the study notes. So I am good :cool:
Just thought to update here in case you would want to add the first tab to the excel.
Thanks and Regards
LL

Hi LL,

I have uploaded the following XLS Spreadsheets
Thanks,
Suzanne