FAQ Exam Can we correct or change our answers on the exam?

S666

Subscriber
With regard changing your answer on the exam, I heard the exam answer sheet uses a "carbon copy sheet" which prints your answer onto the sheet below meaning that you can not erase your answer even though it is in pencil. I have read online that the answer sheet contains an additional column for changing your answer.....but as there is only one additional column, your answer can only be changed once.

S666

Subscriber
As an aside, I also read on the GARP website that watches are not allowed in the exam room....while also reading On several forums that many, many test centres have no clocks in them!! How on earth are we supposed to keep track of time while sitting the exam and making sure we are on schedule etc.

This just seems ridiculous....I mean, talk about causing students extra stress!

If and when you manage to speak to your contact, would you be so kind as to enquire whether test centres all have clocks in them (I'm sitting in London FYI).

I can't imagine having to time myself in my head with no reference to a clock or watch.

Nicole Seaman

Director of CFA & FRM Operations
Staff member
Subscriber
Hello @S666 and @Deepak Chitnis

I sent an email to our contact at GARP, and I will post the answers to your questions here as soon as I hear back from them. Here are a few posts that I found regarding your questions too. Obviously, we will want to hear the updated rules & policies in case they have changed, but thought this would be helpful also. I'm sure there are MANY more posts like this in the forum, but this was just with a quick search :)
Thank you,

Nicole

cc: @David Harper CFA FRM CIPM

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hello @Deepak Chitnis and @S666

I just received an answer back from our contact at GARP. Here are the answers to your questions:
  • Of course candidates can change their answer, they just cannot erase. Hence erasers are not allowed.
  • Watches are not allowed. If the venue does not have a clock, they should have a flip board to indicate the current time, which will be announced at the top of each hours.
  • The exam booklets do have blank pages that they can use to work out problems. We do not hand out separate scrap paper.
I hope that this helps to answer your questions.

Thank you,

Nicole

S666

Subscriber
@Nicole Manley

Many thanks for taking the time to get us replies to our questions, much appreciated.

I must say, I am a little disappointed with GARP and their policies on some issues. I can accept that they want to refuse to allow watches to be worn, what with all the smart watches and "small technology" available these days....but with the price of the exam being in the 100s of dollars the least I expect would be to have a working clock in each and every exam room. A flip board with the time written on hourly is just sub standard by any measure, and quite frankly should be an embarrassment to GARP.

Talk about adding necessary pressure!

btsct

I am taking FRM part II answer in May 2018.

Since eraser is not allowed in the exam room, I want to ask how best to change answer on the answer sheet.

According to information from FRM about changing answer on the answer sheet,

"Changed answers are recorded in the column marked "Final Answer." For example, if you fill in bubble A, and then decide that you want to change your answer to C, leave bubble A filled, then fill in the circle for C. You will ALSO need to write the letter C in the Final Answer column.

Do not write in a letter for every question in the Final Answer column; it is only for answers you are changing. Answer sheets that are not completed correctly may cause a delay in your results."

I want to ask what is the procedure to follow by other exam takers who have recent experience in taking FRM exam, in case I have to change answer more than once for a particular question?

For example, for a particular question, if I fill in bubble A as answer on the answer sheet, and then decided I want to change my answer to B. I left bubble A filled, then filled the circle for B and also write the letter B in the Final Answer column.

And then after more reviews later, I decide to modify my answer to C. Do I need to

1) leave bubble A and bubble B filled, and fill the bubble for C and
2) then write C in the Final Answer column?

What should I do with the letter B I already wrote in the Final Answer column? should I cross out the letter B in the Answer column first before writing the new answer C in the Final answer column for the particular question?

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
I am taking FRM part II answer in May 2018.

Since eraser is not allowed in the exam room, I want to ask how best to change answer on the answer sheet.

According to information from FRM about changing answer on the answer sheet,

"Changed answers are recorded in the column marked "Final Answer." For
example, if you fill in bubble A, and then decide that you want to change
your answer to C, leave bubble A filled, then fill in the circle for C. You
will ALSO need to write the letter C in the Final Answer column.

Do not write in a letter for every question in the Final Answer column; it
is only for answers you are changing. Answer sheets that are not completed
correctly may cause a delay in your results."

I want to ask what is the procedure to follow by other exam takers who have recent experience in taking FRM exam, in case I have to change answer more than once for a particular question?

For example, for a particular question, if I fill in bubble A as answer on the answer sheet, and then decided I want to change my answer to B. I left bubble A filled, then filled the circle for B and also
write the letter B in the Final Answer column.

And then after more reviews later,

I decide to modify my answer to C. Do I need to

1) leave bubble A and bubble B filled, and fill the bubble for C
and
2) then write C in the Final Answer column?
and
What should I do with the letter B I already wrote in the Final Answer
column? should I cross out the letter B in the Answer column first before
writing the new answer C in the Final answer column for the particular question?
Hello @btsct

Please note that I moved your question here to this thread that already discusses this.

Thank you,

Nicole

Dear sir:

I am bit confused about number of answer sheets that are allowed in exams. I have heard we are only allowed 2 pages to write whole exam. Is that true? And after exams now being online are we alllowed answer sheets at all?

In accounting certifications we are allowed as many sheets as candidates want; FRM being formula and calculation intensive area i'll be surprised if we are allowed only two sheets in a 4 hour exams.

Please help.

Hello, does anyone know what happens if there is a difference between the actual answer sheet and the carbon copy one ? The proctor tore off my sheets and they came unglued to each other , when i finished the exam i took a look at the carbon sheet and the marking was all over the place ? Does that mean my paper wont get graded or will the machine refer to top answer sheet instead ?

Nicole Seaman

Staff member
Subscriber
Hello, does anyone know what happens if there is a difference between the actual answer sheet and the carbon copy one ? The proctor tore off my sheets and they came unglued to each other , when i finished the exam i took a look at the carbon sheet and the marking was all over the place ? Does that mean my paper wont get graded or will the machine refer to top answer sheet instead ?
Hello @marcreaidi You may need to contact GARP directly to get an answer, but the following is on their FAQ page:

Answer Sheets.png